Sunday, June 7, 2020

Barbie fan club information from 1970

Mattel offered a Barbie fan club up through 1971.  There wouldn't be one again until the 1980s.  What came with the 1970 membership varied depending upon which booklet you read.
The earliest 1970 booklets were tan with only Living Barbie on the cover.  A separate sheet included information about the fan club.  The cost went up to $2 and included the magazine subscription, the outfit Salute to Silver and the family portrait.

I wrote this on June 2, and now, Nov. 2, I have an update.  I found a copy of the picture and certificate that you got with your membership at an antique show yesterday.  The papers were only $3, and I was thrilled to find them!  I've seen the picture only once before, and that was on my cousin's bedroom door in the early 1970s.  I don't know why I remember that, but I was envious of her for having it.

The original owner of this certificate
never filled out her charter membership card.

Note that Barbie is a brunette in this fan club picture!


In 1969, outfit #1885 was called Silver Sparkle and in 1970 it was renamed Salute to Silver.
Yet a different address for the membership,
which cost $2.
There were two separate membership forms in the pink booklets, which showed both Living Barbie and Living Skipper on the covers.
The second fan club membership form from 1970
advertised seven issues of the magazine instead of six.
Salute to Silver was not included.

The back of the second 1970 membership form.



The third membership form for 1970 mentioned the gold bracelet is now included.
The price for a foreign subscription went up to $2.60.
This was the third membership form for 1970.

No comments: