Saturday, May 7, 2022

Western Hills Press to shut down

The Western Hills Press, founded by publisher Will Finch and published for the first time on Nov. 7, 1924 , will be shutting down at the end of May after 98 years of weekly publication.  Final issue date will be May 25, 2022.

Its best known publisher was Albert H. Huneke.  He started working at the Press in 1926, and then bought the company in 1933 and owned it until 1972.


The Western Hills Press was owned by HomeTown Communications after that but continued to be a local newspaper.  I worked there as an editorial assistant between 1983 and 2000, at which I point I had found another job.  My job was to input all of the local submitted news:  births and deaths; engagements, wedding and anniversaries; school news; upcoming events; content of special publications such as a compendium of Green Township (like a list of churches, their addresses and service times); and even an occasional news story.


Gannett bought the Press and its sister publications around Hamilton and Clermont counties and northern Kentucky in 2004, and it was after that the newspaper started going downhill.  All the items that I used to work on were discontinued.  All of my coworkers eventually left, and at least five years ago the only person left in the Monfort Heights office was the head of circulation.  That office’s phone number and address disappeared.  There wasn’t even a place to email or snail mail local news.  I am assuming that all of these sister publications--I think at one time there were 32, give or take a few--are being shut down also.


In recent years this was what The Western Hills Press contained:  reprints of articles from The Enquirer about the West End, Fairmount and Camp Washington (none of which are in Western Hills, while the newspaper’s original coverage area was ignored unless there was a murder in Cheviot or Westwood), local high school sports, local property transfers and the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle (which was what made me continue to buy the paper each week).


I suspect Gannett made these changes on purpose so that it could eventually shut it down and have only The Cincinnati Enquirer to publish.


I had to do quite a bit of searching to find all these historical dates and facts.  The article in Wednesday’s WHP just mentions the closing on the front page, with none of its history.  Even the masthead doesn’t contain it; that is, the volume and issue number.  If the volume number was there, it would have been 98 or 99.


https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=219540460183273&set=a.219540436849942


https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2004/11/15/daily63.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sad that this has to happen. I would liked to have seen the publication have articles about the growth of Western Hills and surrounding areas. Things to do, new restaurants, just good info on what is happening in the area.

Unknown said...

Gannett destroys everything it touches. My dad was an Enquirer carrier for a LONG time, having purchased a route. Then, one day, after Gannett acquired the paper he received a letter that they were taking all of the routes and the paper would be delivered by employees of the paper instead of independent carriers. He had never missed a day, no matter how sick or how bad the weather. They made low-ball offers on the value of the routes. We got them to come up a little, but it was basically theft.

Flash forward many years and my kids were Northwest Press carriers. First my sons, then a daughter took over. They had that route for many years, being 10 years different in ages between them. My daughter finally gave up the route a few years ago. Shortly thereafter, they eliminated the kids as carriers and adults took over. And, now it's all gone.

In my job I worked with a lot of media before retiring (sort-of). I knew people from the Enquirer and the Community Press. Gannett pushed them all out. I still know some of them and they are great people, glad to be out from under Gannett. It's a horrible company. Like I said, they destroy everything they touch.