Sunday, September 6, 2020

Similar fabric for dress and hair ribbon

K-B Toys sold Starlight Carousel Barbie in 1998 (box date 1997).  Her drop waist skirt is made of a lame' beribboned fabric.  The back of the box lining shows two white horses.  Although this doll was sold as an item for collectors, it really is meant for a little girl to display.  As an adult, I didn't pay attention to this doll when she was first sold, as she is not the sort of item I collect.
In the meanwhile, some time in the 1990s I bought a huge hair ribbon/barrette for myself.  I don't remember at what store or where I purchased it, but I only wear it around Christmas because it is so shiny and gaudy.  Although the fabric of my barrette is very similar to Barbie's skirt, they are not quite identical.  Barbie's skirt is silver and my barrette is gold, and the arrangement of the colored stripes is a little different.  But both fabrics were obviously created by the same company.
Over the decades that I've been collecting, I have periodically seen human clothes made of the same fabrics that were used for doll outfits, but they've always been Mattel competitors, not those for Barbie.

If Barbie and I go out some day for Christmas,
folks will see that her dress and my hair decoration almost match!

Notice the carousel horses in the liner of the Starlight Carousel Barbie box.

No comments: