Tuesday, May 15, 2007

May 15, 2007, Jericho's cancellation

Man, I'm batting a 1,000 here, in two different ways.
Jericho was cancelled today. I don't have much luck with post-apocalyptic or PA-like premise shows. Most of them never get their situation concluded. Jericho's in good company: Lost in Space, Battlestar Galactica (the one, the only, the original, my all-time favorite TV series), V, Surface and the one I have a vague memory of watching, The New People, all got cancelled before their storylines ended. I've learned over the years that it's not just me that's left wondering; quite often the cast members themselves are bothered by it. The only similar show I've ever seen that got its story finished was Star Trek: Voyager. You will notice that every show I've listed was panned by the critics and all of them are looked upon contemptously by many contemporary snarky younger viewers. The reasons I liked the shows are the same reasons they hate them: because the characters for the most part are nice and friendly to each other and are at least somewhat idealistic.
Now, as for the other reason I'm batting a thousand. My TV viewing schedule last fall looked like this:
Sunday, 10 p.m., ABC, Brothers & Sisters, which I enjoyed at first but then the characters got too confusing to keep track of and the storyline just got too weird. I've not been watching it regularly since then because I've lost a bit of interest.
Tuesday, 9 p.m., Fox, House. This season, the characters and their soap opera relationships, the "who's sleeping with whom" and the fact that the characters were looking like they weren't bathing regularly took precedence over the weird diseases. Again, I've lost interest.
Wednesday, 8 p.m., CBS, Jericho. The best PA series I've seen since my beloved Galactica. Cancelled. Wednesday, 9 p.m., ABC, Lost. The first season was one of the neatest program I'd ever seen. The second season killed off too many of the interesting original characters and brought in too many new boring ones. The first half of the third season managed to be both sickeningly violent and boring at the same time. I didn't return when it returned from its hiatus, and I never will. 10 p.m., CBS, CSI: NY. The only one of the CSI/Law & Order shows I've ever seen. I have a wimpy stomach and don't give a damn about cop shows and the only reason I watched this one was because I like Gary Sinise. But again, this season got too soapy and boring and the subject matter was sometimes just out-and-out gross.
Thursday, 10 p.m., ABC, Six Degrees. My sister and I both really liked this show, but it got put on hiatus, returned for two episodes, and then got cancelled. I'm not watching anything in its place.
Various times, ABC, Men in Trees. Was cute at first, then got raunchy and I started to lose interest.
Oh, and last fall ABC Family showed Everwood reruns at 6 p.m. weeknights. It was wonderful to see the series again and I taped the second, third and fourth seasons. But as soon as the series got through its first run, Fam discontinued it. I haven't watched Fam since.
The only bright spot this spring has been Ion's airings at 6 p.m. Sundays of the reruns of Galactica. Sometimes the highlight of my week.
No wonder I go to the movies so often....

No comments: