Sunday, April 6, 2014

I had to look at the feet!

At the Queen City Beautiful Doll Club show today, a couple brought in a number one Barbie.  In 30 years of collecting, this is only the SECOND time I have ever seen one.  It was very exciting!  It was like meeting a celebrity!

The owners, who had bought the doll for $1,000 at an estate sale, let me take some photos of the doll.  That may seem like a lot of money but in the Barbie universe that is CHEAP!  I told the owner he could buy a new car with the doll.
Here is the doll, still in her box.  The owners replaced her shoes and booklet, but the stand still needs to be replaced.  I didn't realize as I was photographing her that it looks like the girl has horns growing out of her temples!











Here are the soles of her feet with the tubes in them.


I've read that the original manufacturing run was of 350,000, so no one has any idea how many number ones still exist.

No comments: