Monday, April 28, 2014

Intrigue, and the doll who should wear it


I have a 1967 Twist N Turn Barbie with what used to be coarse frosted gray hair.  I washed the doll and the hair turned out beautifully!  It's much softer now.  I learned it is what we humans call ash blonde and what Barbie calls Summer Sand.  It's not a yellow blonde but rather a silver color that actually has a bit of sparkle to it.
I had dressed her in the 1967 outfit #1470 Intrigue.  This is a gold lame' raincoat with a pink lining, white heels and a sleeveless dress.  The extended bodice of the dress is white with a gold net overlay, and the skirt is supposed to match the gold lame'.  The dress is not in mint condition and the lame' is wearing away, revealing a dark pink undercoating in a variegated stripe.  Actually, I like it that way!
My '67 TNT has a problem with her right hip in that the leg is not attached properly and the leg is very swingy.
I Googled both this particular doll and this outfit.  I saw other versions of 1967 Summer Sand for sale and they also have the loose right hip.  I don't know if this is true for the other hair colored Barbies.  I also saw that someone else had the same idea as I, as she had also dressed Summer Sand in Intrigue.
We've all read articles about the side part bubblecuts and American Girls and how the ballgowns from the mid-1960s were designed especially for them.  But I believe that is true for many other years, many other dolls and many other outfits.  Sometimes an outfit will look "blah" on one girl and phenomenal on another.  Have any of you discovered that certain outfits look best on certain dolls, and if so, which ones?

No comments: