Friday, October 3, 2014

summer sand


I have seen photos over the years of matching outfits that Mattel made for its Chatty Cathy and Barbie dolls.  But did Mattel also give the dolls matching hair?
You've seen my previous pictures of my 1967 Twist N Turn Barbie doll and my Charmin' Chatty.  But now I've put the two dolls next to each other, because I realized the other week that their hair is very much alike.
This particular TNT Barbie has a hair color called Summer Sand.  She's not actually blonde--her hair is streaked with glittery gold and silver.  Cathy has the same hair.
But this is what puzzles me.  I've read that Charmin' Chatty was sold in 1963 and 1964, but this Barbie wasn't on the market until 1967.  Was this version of Cathy actually still being manufactured and sold in 1967, which is why she and Barbie ended up with the same strands of hair?  Or did Mattel have a lot of Charmin' Chatty frosted hair left over, and used it on their early TNT dolls?


No comments: