Saturday, March 16, 2019

1978 booklets are on different papers

I vaguely remember a time in the late 1970s when, for whatever reasons, glossy paper was not available.  I remember seeing magazines that normally used enamel shiny paper had switched over to the rougher newsprint.  However, I cannot find any reference to this incident on the Internet.
Mattel must have been affected by this paper shortage, as I have found its 1978 Barbie booklet on both glossy paper and newsprint.  I've also found a variation in the way the photos were printed.
Here are three different 1978 booklets.
The 1978 Fashion Photo Barbie booklet can be found on both glossy paper and newsprint.

The bottom version of the 1978 booklet has all the photos in the same direction.
The top version has them upside down to each other.

No comments: