Tuesday, October 20, 2020

1970 Barbie and Ken paper doll set almost made me cry

I was delighted, and near tears, to discover that my paper doll haul included #1986 Barbie and Ken from 1970, as I had this set as a girl.  I stupidly sold it at a garage sale when I was in college.

It's near mint, except that the center page and some of the outfits are missing.  You can see two of the missing outfits on the back cover, the green striped and red bow dresses.  None of the clothes are Mattel designs.

There is also a cardboard poster to hang, and Barbie looks more like PJ on the poster.  I don't know who the paper doll Barbie looks like, but Ken looks like Rex Harrison to me.  I don't know who Barbie's clothes remind me of, but Ken's are very reminiscent of what David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman wore at the time.  In fact, I think Keith Partridge was seen several times wearing that blue outfit on The Partridge Family!


I owned set #1986 as a girl, and can't believe
I spent only 29 cents plus tax on it.


Although this set's clothing is all original Whitman designs,
the red dress is similar to the 1969 outfit Little Bow Pink.


Is this Barbie, or is it PJ?


An odd mix of fonts was used
for the text for this paper doll set.



Ken on the left as David Cassidy and as Rex Harrison on the right.


No comments: