Sunday, February 21, 2021

Coats that no one would wear in real life


Not all of the Barbie and family coats are practical or useful.  Many of them are fanciful and don't represent anything a person would wear in real life, even during the mod era.  Four examples are

Blonde Living Barbie in 1799 Maxi N Midi, both from 1970.  I wanted this outfit as a little girl and it was one of the first outfits I purchased as an adult collector.

White Stacy in 1813 Snug Fuzz, both from 1968.  I wanted this outfit as a little girl and it was one of the first outfits I purchased as an adult collector.  Also as an adult collector, I learned that this ridiculous fur suit was adapted from one of Coco Chanel's practical, business suit designs.
.
Brunette Twist N Turn Barbie in 1860 Smasheroo, both from 1968.  Although I did not know about this outfit as a girl, it was one of the first I acquired as an adult collector.  I found it loose and complete at an antique mall.

Brunette Twist N Turn Skipper in 1972 Drizzle Sizzle, both from 1969.  The clear vinyl boots are almost impossible to get over Skipper's soft feet.  Now that the boots are on they are staying on!

No comments: