Thursday, July 28, 2022

Many versions of first Happy Birthday Barbie


The Barbie on the left was my first new doll purchase
as an adult collector in 1983.
The doll on the right, with lighter skin and hair,
probably dates from 1981.

The hair color and styling between the 1983 Happy Birthday Barbie (left)
and the 1981 version (right) varies quite a bit.

The first of the numerous Happy Birthday Barbie was sold in 1981 (box date 1980), and she was also sold in 1982 and 1983.  Her hair, skin color and gift box all varied greatly, but surprisingly, her dress stayed pretty much the same.  However, the skirt's butterfly decals come off easily.

Happy Birthday Barbie, the 1983 version (1982 box date), was the first doll I bought new at the store when I started collecting.  I had been buying loose older ones for at least a year before I broke down and bought myself a new doll.  This later version has tan skin and slightly darker blonde hair.

I recently found a loose Happy Birthday Barbie at an antique mall which I suspect was an earlier version.  She has pink skin, lighter blonde hair and looser curly bangs.  Both dolls were made in the Philippines.  This doll has a rubber band that looks original around part of her ponytail, making a bun.

Her curly bangs are representative of the curly bangs the first Barbie doll had in 1959.

No comments: