Monday, May 14, 2018

I wish I knew the story behind these outfits

I purchased a used Whitman Barbie's Sweet 16 paper doll set, dated 1974, at an antique show, based upon the Sweet 16 Barbie of that year, plus a few of her outfits.

Some of the pieces you will recognize, and some of them have had their colors altered.  Four of the outfits that I am showing you, you will recognize:
1.  Sweet 16's original pink polka dot gown
2.  Best Buy 7746 Palazzo Pants Outfit, with extra ruffles on the top
There were two paper dolls included
with the Sweet 16 set, plus numerous outfits
that were either copies of Best Buys or completely original.

Extra outfits were drawn for each Sweet 16 Barbie paper doll.
3.  Best Buy 7755 Dirndl Style, with a fuchsia bodice and yellow blouse instead of the blue bodice and white blouse
4.  Best Buy 7757, Festive Evening Clothes, in green rather than scarlet (I always thought this was a robe!)

But there was a surprise inside.

Extra outfits were included, all hand-drawn and hand-colored.  They were all time period correct and detailed, with nothing being alike.  They were colored with colored pencils and Magic Markers, and detailed to show seams and buttons, plus the tabs to put over the paper dolls.  Since they were all so elaborate, I have to assume that whoever drew them must have seen the outfits in catalogs and adapted them for the paper dolls.

Who drew these outfits, and why?  An 8-year-old girl is unlikely to have created them, unless she had artistic skills w
The two outfits that were sold with Sweet 16 Barbie,
the pink polka dot and the tank top and denim shorts,
were included with the paper dolls.

I assume the artist looked at catalogue photos
and then redrew the outfits to fit the paper dolls.
ay beyond her years.  Perhaps an older relative with drawing talent drew them?  I also wondered if perhaps the outfits were part of an art project, done either by the owner when she was in high school or college, or by the older relative for such an assignment.

I was blown away by the designs and creativity.

I wish I knew the story behind these outfits.

No comments: