Monday, May 28, 2018

Dolls who Barbie can look up to

From left to right are Dusty, Maxie, Tammy, Tressy, Misty, Jaime, Barbie, Cher, Darci, Jem and Tyler

This article is a follow-up to two separate sets of articles I did earlier.  One article is about the heights of the contemporary Fashionista Barbies; the other about her taller competitors.

I obtained a Tall Fashionista, #69 Blue Beauty from 2017, when Toys R Us was closing.  There were quite a few of this version of the doll left but no others.  I'm assuming nobody liked her!  After I deboxed Barbie, I really began to like her, even though I'm not one for funky hair colors such as her light blue hair.  Her face reminds me of a cartoon character's but I cannot place her exactly.

Here are her measurements:
Height 12 inches
Breasts 5 inches
Waist 4 inches
Hips 5 inches
I had a bunch of handmade clothes designed for taller dolls, plus some manufactured items I cannot identify, that I've purchased at garage sales over the years that she can wear.  They all seem to be from the 1970s or 1980s.  Blue Beauty cannot wear regular Barbie outfits.

I also wanted to see how she compared to other bigger fashion dolls, so I got out almost every taller doll I owned and lined them up, naked of course, so that you can see the body differences.  The dolls are:
Kenner Dusty 11 inches
Hasbro Maxie 11 1/2 inches
Ideal Tammy 12 inches
American Character Tressy 12 inches
Ideal Miss Clairol Misty (a friend of Tammy's but not the same size) 12 inches
Kenner Jaime Sommers 12 1/4 inches
Mattel Tall Barbie 12 inches
Mego Cher 12 1/4 inches
Kenner Darcy 12 1/2 inches
Hasbro Jem 12 12 1/2 inches
Blue Beauty redressed in a 1970s outfit
Robert Tonner Tyler 16 1/2 inches

Blue Beauty outside her box
Blue Beauty in her box
Here are the links to the previous articles.

How tall the Fashionistas are:
http://skippercollector.blogspot.com/2017/04/fashionista-comments-part-1.html

Barbie's taller competitors
http://skippercollector.blogspot.com/2017/04/larger-fashion-dolls-1960s.html
http://skippercollector.blogspot.com/2017/04/larger-fashion-dolls-1970s.html




No comments: