Monday, July 4, 2016

Barbie and Ken Simplicity 9054


Hippie Ken and Flower Child Barbie

Barbie and Ken could go to a party,
a wedding, the beach and a sit-in!


The suit when made out of heavy double-knit
can be used for martial arts practice.
Mom and I shared the responsibility of sewing the outfits from Simplicity 9054, dated 1970 for the 1971 market.  Mom made the Ken clothes, I made the Barbie pantsuit.  This pattern set was actually my first attempt at making Barbie clothes in the early 1970s.
Oh, Ken's outfits are groovy, especially when made with vinyl!  The fringe looks great!
But the Barbie pantsuit never turned out as well as I hoped it would.  I think I made several of them, but only one survived.  It wasn't just because of my limited sewing skills.  I believe the raglan sleeves of the shirt were not sized properly, and never fit into the bodice panels as they should have.
The two dolls you see pictured are the 1971 SunSet Malibu Barbie and Ken.

1 comment:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

My Ken doll had an outfit that looks a lot like the one with the fringe vest. It was probably made from that pattern.